MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials which have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in lots of fields. This is a comprehensive guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements in the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, including titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer consists of M, A, X, the three aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they may be widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, consisting of three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers to the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X refers to the aspects of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials get them to have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be used in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be utilized in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be used in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can communicate with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually range from the etching therapy for the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics may be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are widely used in energy storage and conversion. For instance, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the activity and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Additionally, MXene materials can also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of science and technology and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application areas of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. These aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. In the future, new preparation technologies and techniques can be further explored to understand a more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, however, there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other facets of the fabric can be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have already been popular in lots of fields, but there are still many potential application areas to be explored. In the future, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in numerous fields. Using the continuous progress of science and technology and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.